Fashion follows some principles. Every designer require motivation , suggestion and inspiration to design for a new season. Fashion is always in harmony with the time in which it prevails. Therefore, fashion has some factors which affect it.
Fashion Principles –
- Fashion is all about style. Hence it has to follow certain fashion principles and gain popularity to become a fashion.
- Consumers establish fashion, as a result they have the power to accept or reject the style.
- Consumer’s approval and acceptance is the key in making the style popular.
- Fashion is not build on price. This is because items originally introduce at high prices may be quickly made available in a variety of prices. (wider consumer appeal)
- Fashion is evolutionary and rarely revolutionary. In other words, fashion changes cautiously, that is, it evolves from one style to another.
- Fashion follows a direction, which is sales promotion does not affect it. Promotional efforts can neither tell what people will buy, nor renew the life of fading fashion. They help only in grabbing the attention of consumers to a new style.
- “All fashion ends in excess,” once said the famous designer. Paul Poiret. This means that once the extreme look in any style has been achieved. Limitation in further modifications and people lose interest and move to seek a different look with a new style.
These were the fashion principles.
As there are fashion principles the style must be developed from some inspiration.
Source of Fashion Inspiration
Every designer need some sort of motivation and inspiration to design something new for a new season. They require complete research to get new ideas from various sources of fashion inspiration. These sources kindle a designer’s imagination and inspire him/her to interpret, conceptualize and design in a unique manner.
These are some common sources of inspiration –
- Nature – It is the massive range of natural things which surrounds us, which act as a great source of inspiration for a designer.
- Media – This refers to the various forms of media that could tickle a designer’s imagination, such as print media (newspaper and magazines). Broadcast media ( television programs, daily soaps, movies etc.). These media also keep updated a designer about the current events and latest fashion trends.
- Internet – Refers to all the information and knowledge that can be accessed through internet.
- Lifestyle – The lifestyle of presently famous personalities that serve as the source of inspiration of designers. A designer must be aware of the lifestyle of the customer for whom he is designing.
- Forecasts – Refers to the color and fabric forecasts that help to develop trends. Designers can also visit fiber and fabric fairs.
- Travel – Various places that a designer visits during his trips.
- Museums / Monuments / Architecture – Refers to museums and historical monuments in and outside India. The designer can also derive inspiration from the architecture of famous buildings of today and years gone by.
- Heritage – The rich cultural heritage of India, in form of culturally rich states, classical dances and paintings.
- Fine Arts – Thee inspirational sources are the fine arts by old and new artists which are displayed at the art galleries.
- Designer’s library – Refers to the collection of fabrics of a designer. Their trims and designs help to start the creative process.
- Fellow Designers – Refer to the inspiration that designers derive from their colleagues, especially the amateur ones from the establish Indian and International designers to kindle their creativity.
Factors Affecting Fashion –
Fashion is always in harmony with the time in which it prevails. Environment is the sum total of the conditions that surround and influence a person. The following are the 3 major factors affecting fashion interest and demand ;
- economic factors
- sociological factors
- psychological factors
Economic Factors –
Economic development play a major role in the growth of fashion demand in a country. This is because economical development results in rise in purchasing power, technical progress and a healthy population.
Consumer Income –
The rise in consumer income affects fashion. The money left with an individual or a family after paying all the taxes and purchasing necessary items. This money decides the purchasing power for fashion goods.
Purchasing Power –
The rate of inflation, taxes, strikes have a negative impact on the purchasing power of the people. Hence, the fashion demand decreases. Less money leads to simple living and practical styles with subdued colors. Whereas, with excess of money one tends to buy expensive clothing and accessories.
Population rise indicates the increase in people with money which ultimately leads to expenditure on fashion goods. The mix of a society also decides its fashion interests. The youth is more interested in latest fashion trends. They adopt fashion changes more quickly. Longer life expectancy with high purchasing power help elderly to spend more on their clothing style, fitness programs, social get-together and other interests.
Technological Achievements –
New technologies have given rise to various new products, which have increase the demand and interest in fashion. Mass production of fashion goods are possible because of the development of computerized machines. These advancement helped in spinning, weaving, knitting, stitching, embroidery and other operations. This makes a wider variety of products available to people in vast quantities at lower price.
Sociological Factors –
Fashion is a reflection of society in which it exists. Social patterns influence people to change the attitude and behavior. therefore fashion demands also change.
Recreation and Physical Fitness
The need for recreation has opened the gates to a society requiring casual and sportswear. Due to the awareness of being fit in both the sexes and all age group calls for the clothes that allow ease of movement.
The number of healthy and economically sound retired people is growing due to the high life expectancy and retirement benefits. This offers new opportunities and challenges to the fashion industries. Old people also want clothes that suits their age and figure.
The number of working women in the society are increasing day by day. This leads to the purchasing power and consequently to the demand and interest in fashion. These independent women also sometimes become the fashion leaders.
In our society there are basically 2 groups fashion leaders who first adopt the new fashion. These people indicate their social status through the fashion they adopt. The middle class is the major driving force behind fashion demand because of it great size.
People travel from one city to another or from one country to another for jobs, vacation and other ventures. This exposes them to a whole new culture and different fashion. As a result they desire to adopt attractive fashion.
The youngsters get majorly influenced by the moves or music videos they watch. There were numerous examples from the purple colored saree worn by actress Madhuri Dixit in hum aapke hain kaun to the latest high ankle palazzo worn by Deepika Padukone in piku.
Famous personalities like world leaders, royalty, and other people in the news at times plays a major role in bringing forth a new look and establishing a trend. The dresses of Lady Diana and the dressing style of Michelle Obama were readily copied by the fashion conscious people. Many times a fashion is even named after the person responsible for its popularity.
Natural or man-made calamities such as war, earthquake or a pandemic influence the lives of people in a negative way, forcing them to adopt a fashion compatible with the change environment and lifestyle. For instance, today corona virus has made everyone to cover their faces with a mask an add on in fashion accessories.
The buying decisions are the results of his/her mental state. Some common psychological reasons that contribute to fashion are –
People get bore of the fashion which is available to everyone. Therefore, they strive to look for something new and desire to acquire that style.
The desire to try something new encourages change. Curious people always experiment with the changes in colors, details, style keeping the fashion demand alive. In short designers thrive for such curious people to try new styles.
Rebellion against Convention
Today’s youth is rebellious when it comes to to adopting fashion. Therefore, they seemingly reject the ordinary designs and seek newer fashion.
Self-assertion help in building one’s self-esteem and wearing fashionable apparel in a wonderful way. As a result, to overcome one’s feeling of inferiority and gain acceptance in the society.
Companionship refers to the formation of groups which have similar fashion choices in apparels and other things. Fashion plays a vital role in searching for companions for it depicts the social and mental status of a person.
That’s all for fashion principles, source of inspiration and factors affecting fashion. please do share your views in the comment box below.